Google My Business – 25% (Proximity, categories, keyword in business title etc)
Links – 16% (Inbound links, linking domain authority/quality etc)
Reviews – 15% (Review quantity, velocity, diversity)
On-page – 14% (e.g. NAP, keywords in titles, domain authority)
Citations – 11% (NAP consistency online, citation volume etc)
Behavioural – 10% (CTR, clicks-to-call, check-ins etc)
Personalisation – 6% (Bespoke, targeted messages)
Social – 3% (Social media channels & engagement)
- Create a GMB (Google My Business) listing, optimise it and stay active. Does your business have multiple branches? Create individual listings for each branch. Do you serve multiple areas? Create one listing, but cite all the different areas you serve on your listing. Remember – keep locations served realistic. The further afar you try to promote your services, the more competition you open yourself up to and the less likely you are to appear in search results because Google displays the nearest businesses for the end user. Create geo-location landing pages on your Website, featuring unique localised content to optimise for each branch or service area.
- Generate Backlinks – Ask suppliers or business affiliates to add links from their website to yours e.g.: citing you as a trusted partner or preferred supplier.
– Aim to post relevant, shareable content on social media at least twice a week and include a URL backlink to the relevant page of your website each time
– Set up a blog on your website to post and share helpful, informed answers to frequently asked questions
– Post on trusted industry or trade websites such as third-party blogs and forums, with backlinks to a page of your website when relevant e.g. to provide more information – but don’t spam, your site ranking could be penalised for this!
- The importance of reviews continues to grow significantly year on year. Most consumers check out reviews before they employ a local business, so it’s important to request these. Reviews contribute to your online reputation, so it’s crucial to monitor and respond to them too. DoLocal’s Reputation Manager service can help you. With a single dashboard view and monitoring of your views now is a good time to get your free report.
- Optimise for on-page signals by enriching copy quality and optimising relevance: keywords and locations. We offer a free report on your website’s technical health which looks at things like site security, mobile speed and broken links. Get your free report here.
- Citations – This relates back to NAP (Name, Address & Phone Number) inconsistencies. Ensure your business name, address and telephone number is listed consistently on every page of your website and all other online sources which promote your business. This is also important for voice search (Alexa, Siri, Google Home etc).
- Behavioural – This means visitor engagement and interactions with your website – click-through rate, time on site, call to actions (CTAs), clicks to call. You can help influence this by optimising the meta description of each page to drive its click-through rate and reviewing the website copy quality to ensure it’s engaging and reflects your business in the best possible light. Adding dynamic content like videos high up on the home page and strong CTAs on every page all help to increase engagement.
- Personalisation – Trigger personalised messages for visitors to your Website. Make sure they are targeted e.g. add a ‘welcome back’ pop-up message for returning website visitors and present them with an enticing offer. Make sure this message adds value over and above what’s on the page for all users.
NB: Only display pop-ups for desktop visitors – site ranking will be negatively affected if you publish pop-ups on mobile sites as they are annoying for the user on such a small device.
- Social signals – It may seem relatively low but if you aim to post relevant, shareable content on your social network channels at least twice a week, it can be an effective way to drive backlinks to your site, helping to increase domain authority, and in turn boost website performance.